Saturday, April 2, 2011

My Letter to the City

Dear Mayor Steingold, Vice Mayor Bandoni, Commissioner Ayob, Commissioner Besore, and Commissioner Williams,

I am writing to express my support for the possibilities available to Safety Harbor’s residents and our neighbors. I wholeheartedly support the Safety Harbor Art and Music Center and stand behind you, Todd Ramquist, Kiaralinda, Grant Genova, and others who are doing their part to make it a reality.

When my husband, children and I moved from Washington State a little over two years ago, we were amazed at the little oasis we found in Safety Harbor. We strolled Main Street, walked the marina, admired boats and manatees, and tried every restaurant our very first month as residents. The week our new library opened, I was there to get a card. What I missed though, was a culture I might have taken for granted in the Seattle area. There, the arts are prominent, but in Safety Harbor they were not directly visible to me. We found music at local restaurants and traveled to neighboring communities to experience more music and art. We soaked it all up! It was after we got to know people that we realized there is actually a thriving art culture here, and the musicians, writers, visual and performing artists are a huge part of this town.

Then, last October, I met Kiaralinda and Todd. When I learned about the Safety Harbor Art and Music Center, I dived in and helped Kiaralinda to create a Facebook page. I created a blog. The community immediately expressed their support and excitement about an art and music center and our Facebook page grew rapidly and daily (and our list of followers is still growing). At the time of this letter, we have 773 people receiving news through Facebook. Our blog, www.safetyharborartandmusiccenter.blogspot.com has had 1917 page views since the first post. The excitement is not fleeting. People are hungry for more art, more expression, more opportunities to express creativity.

When the Safety Harbor Art and Music Center opens its doors, I hope in hindsight that we will be able to remember the process as one without kinks. I hope it will be smooth and our efforts successful.

Thank you so much for doing your part to make Safety Harbor an art friendly town and a wonderful place to call home.


Sincerely,

Laura K------
address
Safety Harbor, FL 34695
phone



Okay everyone--now it's your turn! T & K need some support at the City Commission meeting tomorrow evening at Safety Harbor City Hall, 750 Main Street, Safety Harbor, FL 34695. If you aren't able to come, please write your letter today or by EARLY Monday to show your support. E-mail each of the Commissioners. Thank you for your help!

No comments: