Thursday, October 30, 2014

Sideshow's first workshop (and more are coming!)


People have been asking when they'll be able to take workshops at the art and music center. Since the building is not yet ready for such things, Todd, Kiaralinda and Heather decided to rent a side space, behind SHAMc. It's a patio venue in the back of the building at 737 Main Street, the same building where Tapping the Vine is, adjacent to the large parking lot next to Cello's Charhouse. They're calling it Sideshow, and they're already planning more workshops, write-ins, and performances there.

Just this past weekend 15 women attended a mosaic workshop taught by Heather Richardson. Even though I had helped with several of the SHAMc building's panels and also participated in the Safety Harbor Library's mosaic fundraising project last year (also facilitated by Heather), I had never grouted.  I wanted to learn the process step by step, from beginning to end.

It was amazing how no two of us had the same idea for our pieces. We also got to create a collaborative community piece for a local business. Details about that will be forthcoming (stay tuned!). Heather encouraged us, advised us, and she was a great teacher!                                         

Scroll down and take a look at the following photos, share the blog with friends, and if you're interested in taking a workshop like this one, or something different, make sure to connect with the SHAMc mailing list.  This workshop filled up fast, so if you see something you'd like to take, be sure to  sign up right away! 



               Upcoming Sideshow Events: 

NaNoWriMo write-ins are happening at Sideshow throughout November for National Novel Writing Month. Want to know more? Read my article in Articulate Suncoast or LIKE the Safety Harbor Writers & Poets on Facebook.
November 1, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., November 11, 1:00 - 4 p.m.
November 25, 3 to 6 p.m.

November 9, 3 to 5 p.m. - Crafternoon ($20 per person)
Exercise your collage skills while making yourself
an original work of art and pitch in to create a group
collage. Get to know Victoria Vox at Crafternoon before her Sideshow performance at 7:30 p.m. ($20 admission)
Click here  to purchase tickets. Vox is an accomplished musician who is passionate about the ukelele.  You won't want to miss it! Doors open at 6:30.
Drinks will be available for purchase.

November 16, 7:30 p.m. - Charlie Mars ($20 admission) 
Singer-songwriter Charlie Mars will be performing
at Sideshow this fall! Mars has played at festivals
like South by Southwest and Austin City Limits.

January 23, 2015
Kris Allen (Admission price TBD)
Mark your calendar for this American Idol winner
Kris Allen will be tearing it up at Sideshow in January!

Heather, thank you for an excellent class. I felt informed and guided throughout the entire process, never at a loss as to how to do anything. You have a true gift as a facilitator of art expression, gained from years of patient experience. I am so delighted with my experience and my product. I look forward to participating with more friends in the future.  With fond waves of warmed sunshine to embrace your soul with happiness. -  Blythin L.


The mosaic workshop was really wonderful. Heather was great teacher and we learned a lot. The pieces of tile and glass and mirror available to us made it so easy to begin our journey to create a beautiful piece of art and to learn the process from start to finish was a great experience. I can't wait to do another workshop   - Nancy V.
Today was my first day mosaic-ing. At first glance I thought I'd never decide what to do. When I finally did, it occurred to me that it might take me all night. Somehow, with bursts of deep concentration and the continued distraction of getting to know some very cool and interesting women, I actually finished my first 18" square.  I had so much fun and felt so energized after spending time with such fun people, that I'm now ready to mosaic my entire house. - Rebecca G.

Wow- this was more than I'd hoped. I'm new to the area and was hoping for a little social activity ... okay, yes, this was social and inspiring and creative and connecting and so much more.  I've made friends that I didn't have yesterday and I feel like I can accomplish something creative that I had no idea I could do. Thank you for giving me this - an accomplishment of self and a connection to people and place.  
I look forward to seeing you all again!   - Tamara S.


More than just an art class ... no judgement for beginners. I felt fully embraced by the experts and learned so much ... just the beginning of my involvement. I feel so inspired!    - Kelly S.


      I'm not artistic but I felt like I was for this class. It's a very 'forgiving' art. You can make something beautiful - it's almost impossible not to make something beautiful! -Rebecca G.

Great class - having been wanting to try mosaics for a long time!  Learned a lot and will be attending more classes in the future!  Heather was very patient with my slow and meticulous style.   Debbie E.  Safety Harbor (30 yr resident)


I hardly ever get to do something for myself. This was an amazing day. Not only was it artistically inspiring, it was with a group of lovely people, enjoying the experience just as much as I. Kiaralinda and Heather created this magnificent event, the first for SHAMc, and it was totally the best kept secret around. Absolutely Awesome Day!        Beth B.   (Dunedin)




And this is me, with my finished piece. What a blast it was.  I think I'm addicted to this creative outlet! maybe I'll set up a mosaic studio in my garage. 

What kinds of workshops or shows would you like to attend or participate in at Sideshow? Let us know in the comments below. 

May you find lots of creativity and inspiration this week too!  - Laura























No comments: