It’s year four and we are super excited for the magic that SongFest has created, not only in the eyes of the public, but also for the performers and vendors. You may be four-for-four or this may be your very first SongFest, but no matter, you simply cannot miss this. Of course, the music lineup is phenomenal. Read on, because like its organizers, SongFest is a celebration of the arts in many forms and we want you to bring Dad, the kids, your favorite dentist, and even Great Auntie Helga because there is plenty of fun planned for all of you.
(Note: Joe Craven and Chasing Lovely are swapping days. For the In the Round listing Emily Kopp will replace Charlie Mars during that segment only)
KapokPilates will start your SongFest mornings off right with yoga at 10 a.m. Maybe you’d like to listen to music on the water. That’s where Tocobaga Tours comes in. They’ll be renting kayaks all weekend.
For those of us who’ve always dreamed of Sumo wrestling (raise your hand!), check out BubbleBall Soccer. They’ll also be selling inflatable couches!
There will be kite demonstrations on Saturday and circus performers walking on stilts and doing amazing feats of acrobatics on Sunday. Clowns will paint faces and you can get a temporary henna tattoo … or stop by the hair braiding tent and let them do something fabulous to your do.
Whew! By now you need refreshment, right? Got it. We’ll have food vendors and plenty of amazing craft brews to delight everyone. Check out the lineup:
- · Craving Donuts (need I say more?)
- · Firehouse Kettle Korn (I always buy a large)
- · Mazed and Cornfuzed (crepes and corn that I think about ALL year!)
- · Mr. C’s Grilled Cheese (ooey gooey goodness!)
- · Nina’s Pizza Oven (Pizzzzzz-uhhhhh!)
- · Southern Steer Butcher (the marinade they use made me visit their shop twelve times last year after SongFest)
- · Starbucks (mmm hmmm)
- · Surf & Turf (apparently they have lobster rolls done the right way!)
- · Taste of Ethiopia (oh, yes, good stuff! And Vegan and Vegetarians, we didn’t forget about you!)
- · The Best Thai (Melissa says this really is the best Thai!)
Carry your food back to your lounge chair (yes, you should bring your own blanket or chairs) or walk around and experience Beth Warmath's art installation When Life Becomes Art. There will also be plein air painters capturing the mood of the weekend. Cars will be morphed into art and you can create too by painting the Nomad Art Bus. The Blue Birds Book Bus will also be there with poetry readings … whew!
Now, who wants a beer? Let’s talk about beer. We are super excited for the choices this year.
- · Cigar City will provide Jai Alai, Florida Cracker and Tony Jannus
- · Our very own Crooked Thumb Brewery will have Abby of the South Blonde, Shade Tree, Harbor Lager and Ggos
- · New Belgium will bring Fat Tire, Citradelic, and Whiz Bang
So you’re full, you’ve played some Bubble Ball, you’ve experienced your new favorite band, and now you want a souvenir. Perfect!
I have a shirt from each SongFest that Creative Tees has been with us. He’ll be back so be sure to stop by his booth. Many of the SHAMc artists will sell their wares too, including Adriane Butler and her famous Garden Fairy hats! GinHol will have their beautiful art instruments at the SHAMc Merch Tent and there will be CDs and vinyl available from the musicians and bands.
I’m excited too because not only will I get to hear all the singer-songwriters, but my favorite performance poet will be with us. Shane Koyczan will inspire and move us to be better human beings on Sunday and for me he’s worth the price of the whole weekend.
Speaking of tickets, do you have yours? Here’s the link and if you want more money to spend at the festival, purchase tickets now because it’s a better deal that way.
This is magic and honestly, we want you with us.